Director of Music Ministry – Pauline Wright (858) 755-7668
Choirs: Children, Teens, Adults, Spanish and English, Christian Contemporary Music.
Music for Weddings, Anniversaries, Funerals, Healing Services, Any Other Celebrations.
St. James Compostela Choir
The St. James Choir is a volunteer group of talented vocalists and musicians. Working under the direction of Pauline Wright, this group sings at the 9:00am Sunday Mass at St. James Church on the 1st, 2nd, 4th, and 5th Sunday of each month. We sing in 4-part-harmony: soprano, alto, tenor and bass.
We are always looking for new members. If you are interested in joining please contact Pauline Wright at (858) 755-7668.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Who sings at which Mass at St. James & St. Leo?
St. James Church
Saturday 5:00 p.m.
Cantor & Accompanist – Each week except for the 3rd Sunday.
Sunday 7:30 a.m.
Cantor & Compostela Choir Plus Instrumentalists (Piano/organ, guitars, flute, strings & drums). This group is on every Sunday except the 3rd Sunday of the month.
The Seraphim Choir & Orchestra with cantor is comprised of students in grades 3 -12 and provides music on the 3rd Sunday of each month.
Sunday 11:30 a.m.
Cantor & Accompanist
1st and 2nd Sundays at 11:30 a.m. “The Spirit Choir” Singers grade 3-8 will sing.
3rd, 4th and 5th Sundays: Cantor with classical quartet provide music ministry.
Sunday 6:00 p.m. (Life Mass)
We offer alternating music groups at this liturgy some of which are comprised of pre-teens, teenagers and youngs adults, and mentoring adults. Direction is overseen by Anne Marie Oldham and coordinated with our Youth Minister, Pat Villa.
At St. Leo Mission
Sunday 8:30/10:30 a.m.
Spanish Coro 1st & 2nd, 5th Domingos Cantor & Pianista – 3rd 4th Domingos
2. What choirs/groups are at St. James and St. Leo?
- Compostela Adult Choir (high school to adult) 9:00 a.m.
(Singers as well as instrumentalists!)
- Life Mass Ensemble 6:00 p.m. Sunday.
- “The Spirit Choir” (grads 3-8) 5th Sunday only
- Children’s Choir (Christmas, Easter, First Communion)
-Spanish Coro (Singers, guitarists, bass, percussion)
3. What rehearsal commitment is required of me?
- Weekly rehearsal unless you are ill or out of town.
Also, prior to Christmas and Holy Week there may be an extra rehearsal for those special days.
4. Do I need to audition to join Music Ministry?
- Yes, indeed! All children who can sing “Happy Birthday” on pitch (and adults who can sing “Amazing Grace”) can pass their music audition. These are two melodies which demonstrate your ability to sing various musical intervals. It is necessary to have an “ear” for music in order to sing in choirs since we learn quite a bit of music throughout the liturgical year.
5. How music selection determined?
All songs for liturgy are selected based on the Scriptures which are proclaimed for that day. The Scriptures run in 3 years cycles (A, B and C). We sing a combination of traditional, contemporary/worship and Spanish music in our parish. At St. James, we sing predominantly contemporary or worship music interspersed with some traditional pieces, as well as bilingual music for our Holy Days and special celebrations. St. Leo’s is well known for vibrant liturgies with enthusiastic singing and overflowing numbers who attend our Spanish Mass from all parts of San Diego and North County.
6. What about instrumentalists or cantors?
If you have a great solo singing voice or a special talent in playing a particular instrument, please contact Pauline Wright, Director of Music Ministries to audition to play at St. James or St. Leo in any of our choirs/ensembles. Pauline will also ask you to do some sight reading during your audition.